Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Red Hot Chili Mushrooms (R.H.C.M.)


Another Friday and another day in the kitchen. I tried to find part time work for my oven training. But it was not meant to be. The Bokharis only wanted Lebanese/Nepali guys in white banians (I had the banian but I am not Lebanese or Nepali). Anyhoo! I will not give up in trying to learn the Oven skills (I am trying to learn the Nepali language ... Oooh! Shabji).

I wanted to experiment something in Mushrooms. When I was little I used to always see this fungus growing on Trees or on the ground once the rains fall. I used to always think that god must have made these little umbrellas for the insects who could take refuge in the rains. Anyhoo! The first time I ate mushrooms was when my sister who was trying to experiment. I don’t remember the taste though but the fungus always used to fascinate me. Whenever I think about Mushrooms I always remember the fairy tale books and their interpretation of it. So therefore I tried to cook mushroom as the excitement and old memories were killing me. In this dish I have tried to merg various recipes from websites and YouTube to come up with the dish. I would love to dedicate this dish to the ever so bubbly Nigella Lawson whose cooking tips are helping me immensely.

Hope you all try it, it is simple and a little spicy.

Recipe:
1 box mushroom (de-stemmed and cut vertically)
2 green chilies (finely chopped)
1 tbsp Garam Masala
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp red chili powder
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 large onion (finely chopped)
4 tbsp refined Sunflower Oil
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tbsp White Vinegar
Salt Pepper Powder to taste

1. Take oil in a frying pan and once it is hot add the sliced mushrooms. Fry the mushrooms till they are soft and elastic. Remove and keep aside. (I saw this YouTube video where they fry the mushrooms before they put it in the dish, this keeps the integrity of the mushroom)
2. In the same pan add onions and sauté' till transparent. Add the green chilies and Ginger-Garlic paste. Fry till onions turn brown.
3. Add turmeric, red chili powder and Garam Masala and mix well. Add the white vinegar (I think that wine or lemon juice too can be used as a substitute)
4. Once the oil starts leaving to the ends of the pan. Add the tomato paste and mix well. At this time the mixture looks sticky. Let it fry and cook till the tomato paste starts loosing its water. Once the mix is dry add the fried mushrooms and mix well. Cook for a short time till all the mushrooms are mixed well in the Masala. Add salt and pepper powder to taste. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment