Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mutton Masala

It’s been a while since I have bragged (Oops! blogged) about my cooking. It was just that I was a little caught up in work and it never seems to get over. Anyways, in the past few weeks I did manage to cook one special dish called Mutton Masala. This is special because it was my first time that I have ever cooked Mutton. It was easy with a recipe that I found online.

My kitchen partner normally prepares mutton and as he went on vacation and the mutton was hogging a lot of space in the freezer I decided to take mutton (Oops! again matter) in my own hands. The worst part about mutton is the stink which emanates at the butchery which always used to make me run a mile away from it. And man oh man was it nauseating? But I did manage this time. Second worst thing about mutton is the bones that are not very cutting friendly. You need to be a butcher to crack and hammer the bones. I sound drunk. The good part of cooking mutton in the pressure cooker is the stock which remains back which is fantastic. It’s healthy and very heavy.

There are a lot of myths that mutton takes a lot of time to cook, but I did manage to finish the whole recipe in 30 minutes. Also it was the first time that I used Garam Masala which I ground myself in my Phillips mixer. The aroma of the masala was simply awesome. Garam Masala actually killed the smell of the mutton which was deterring me from cooking it. Finally mutton masala came out well, the salt was less but better safe than salty.

Please guys, please comment else I will not be pushed towards my journey towards being Qatar’s TOP CHEF. I know I’m thinking too much, but still. You need to give me feedback or criticism (and Hayden no personal attack here) to inspire me to cook and try some more recipes. I have now cooked a dish in Chicken, Mutton, Eggs and Paneer. I will also be sharing my recipe for Mix Vegetable Gravy which I prepared a week back and was lazy not to blog about it. Also I am planning to broaden my horizons to baking and hoping to get a part time job at a Bokhari (Lebanese Restaurant) where I want to be the oven chef. Feedback people...

Recipe :
1 kg Fresh indian mutton (Cleant thoroughly and Cut in 2"x2" pieces)
4 Cloves
1 Long Cinnamon stick
10 Black Pepper corns
2 Bay Leaves
2 Whole Cardamom
2 Medium Onions (Chopped)
1 Medium Potato (Diced)
4 Chilies (Center Slit)
2 Medium Tomatoes
1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp Red Chili Powder
3 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 tbsp Garam Masala Powder
5 tbsp Sunflower Oil
Salt to taste
1. Put the condiments (Cardamom / Cinnamon / Pepper Corns / Bay Leaves /Cloves) alongwith the fresh mutton in a pressure cooker. Keep double the level of water with the mutton level. Cook until 4 whistles or till mutton is tender (Fork test here). Remove stock and keep separately.
2. Heat oil in a pot and once it is hot, add the onions and saute' till onions are transparent. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till onions turn brown. Add the Chilis and tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes bleed.
3. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, Garam masala and fry the mixture. Once the oil starts moving to the edges of the pot, add the cooked mutton (Without the stock)
4. Stir the fried masala in the mutton till all the mutton is covered. Add some stock (1/2 cup) so that there is a gravy formed. dsalt as per convinience. Cook on low flame and cook till stock is thick.
5. Garnish with coriander and Done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment