Monday, August 9, 2010

Anda Curry




Eggs (Anda /Baida /Thanthi) are the best source of proteins and energy. We can have them raw, hard boiled; full fried, half fried, scrambled (burji), omelets, etc. In whatever form we prepare the eggs, it’s simply egg-static. I can make all the above forms of egg dishes but the egg curry used to always elude me. Making egg curry in the Mangalorean style (with coconut) was simple, I wanted to challenge my culinary skills and prepare egg curry in a different style. So there I was scanning the Google pages finding the recipe for Egg Curry. It did not take me long before I found an awesome recipe for Egg Curry (North Indian style). It was easy to cook and the ingredients were readily available. I tried to improvise with one South Indian ingredient (curry leaves) which actually made me feel like I was anchored home.

Whenever I hear the word eggs I recall the wedding masala song “Ande ka Funda” and indeed there are a lot of Fundas while cooking eggs. One funda being that poaching eggs is not an easy thing to do; how much ever you boil the eggs it’s up to your instincts when you need to shut down the gas also the name poached. The first time I heard the word poached eggs I was wondering whether we have to wait with a double barrel gun and shoot the first thing that came out of the boiling eggs. Another funda being that it’s not easy to blow an egg out of its shell with the shell still intact (tried it after watching a YouTube video and it looked easy). One more funda about eggs is that I still haven’t figured out whether it’s vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Also I don’t know how the names of egg dishes have been figured. For example omelet (sounds Shakespearean for me), scrambled (I feel like I am in a war zone), full fried (nuked), half fried (half nuked), duh! What the fudge …

Anyhoo, cooking egg curry was an amazing experience as the ingredients were all available with me. It was a long process but I enjoyed it thoroughly with a bottle of Becks giving me company. The best part of this egg curry was that I was actually satisfied with the end result. The taste, the creaminess of the gravy, color and aroma were all distinct and it gave an amazing after taste reminding how wonderfully it was prepared (I am not trying to praise myself here). Anyhoo egging that you all try the recipe, and the others too that have been put up. I will try to make newer dishes and will be Bl’egging (oops! blogging) at the end of it.

Recipe:

8 hard boiled Eggs (Half slit vertically)
3 medium Onions (Chopped)
4 medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
3 green chilies (Chopped)
1 piece Ginger (Thumb rule here! As big as your thumb - julienned)
8 cloves Garlic (Halved)
1 ½ tbsp Coriander Powder (Kanpeer powder)
1 tbsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1 tbsp Mustard seeds (Sasau)
½ tbsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
6 – 7 Dry Kashmiri Chillis (Stem to be removed)
1 medium Potato (cubed in 2 cm x 2 cm cubes)
Small stick of Cinnamon (4 cm long)
4 dry Cloves
8 – 10 ears of Black Pepper seeds
½ tbsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
10 – 15 Curry Leaves (Kadi patta)
10 – 12 tbsp Oil (Sunflower)
Salt to Taste

1. Take two tablespoons of oil in a frying pan; once oil is hot add the onions and fry till they turn golden brown. Shut down the gas
2. Take the tomatoes and the chilies and grind them in the Mixer, Do not add any water, Once it becomes a creamy paste stop.
3. Add the fried onions to this paste along with the ginger, garlic, coriander powder, jeera, mustard seeds, turmeric powder, dry Kashmiri chilies, Cinnamon stick, cloves, pepper and fennel and grind till the sauce is thick and consistent. Do not add any water.
4. In a deep dish (Aluminum) add the balance oil, heat it and once the oil is hot add the curry leaves and just lightly burn it.
5. Add the sauce that has been ground in the mixer. While adding the sauce to the oil, lower the flame of the gas and then put the sauce. (we don’t want 3rd degree burns)
6. Once the oil separates from the masala (when the see the oil at the ends of the dish) at that time you need to add 2 ½ cups of warm or hot water to the dish.
7. Keep stirring till the masala mixes completely with the water. Add the cubed potatoes to the curry and let it boil. Occasionally keep on stirring so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the dish. Check the potatoes to find out whether the curry is at boiling point.
8. Once the boiling is completed (the levels of the curry reduces to three quarters) add the half slit eggs. Slowly stir as you don’t want your eggs to disintegrate.
9. Keep on lower flame for 10 minutes with a closed lid till it simmers and DONE!!!


Photos to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment